: Waiting for next track...

: Waiting for next track...

From bric-a-brac to one of the jewels in Harrogate's crown

From bric-a-brac to one of the jewels in Harrogate's crown

Published at 6:02am 7th December 2016. (Updated at 6:15pm 7th December 2016)

A jeweller in Harrogate has been officially named as the town's longest established business.

A. Fattorini first opened its doors on Regent Parade in 1831 and finally settled on Parliament Street.

It all started after Antonio Fattorini moved from Italy to Leeds, where he traded in bric-a-brac.

He and his wife then moved to Harrogate to serve the summer visitors.

Antonio's 'Oriental Lounge' at 14 Regent Parade was where he lived and worked, before returning to Leeds for the winter.

A. Fattorini

Antonio Fattorini who moved to Yorkshire from Italy in the 1800s

One of Antonio's sons, also named Antonio, carried on the business by opening new premises at 2 Royal Parade.

In 1884, 'Antonio Fattorini The Jeweller' moved to its present site at 10 Parliament Street.

By 1900, the younger Antonio's sister, Maria, and her husband, John Tindall, joined the business.

When Antonio died in 1912, Maria took over the business with her son.

A. Fattorini

Maria Tindall who took over the business in 1912

One of the Fattorini family's claims to fame is designing and manufacturing the FA Cup in 1911.

A few generations later, A. Fattorini is being run by Anthony Tindall.

He told Stray FM: "185 years doesn't sound so long ago until you realise that's before the railways came to Harrogate, it's the year that Darwin set off on his voyage of discovery and we've been in Harrogate ever since.

"In many ways, the business has become more professional, as all retailing has. We're forever improving things and we've just finished a series of improvements that have left us ready for the future."

A special brown plaque is now on display outside the shop to mark its long association with Harrogate.

Here's to the next 185 years.

A. Fattorini