Police issue Halloween safety advice

Police issue Halloween safety advice

Published at 8:03am 31st October 2015. (Updated at 1:05pm 31st October 2015)

North Yorkshire Police is urging families to stay safe on Halloween.

Officers will also be out in force to make sure that trick-or-treating is trouble-free.

They have released the following list of advice for parents, children and residents: 


  • Only trick or treat in your own neighbourhood, unless you're with an adult.
  • Stay in well-lit areas where there are plenty of houses.
  • Make sure an adult knows the area you plan to visit and what time you'll be back.
  • Look out for 'no callers please' posters and respect your neighbours.
  • Keep to pavements and trick or treat on one side of the street before crossing safely to the other side - don't criss-cross.
  • Wait to eat any treats until you get home so that an adult can check them.


  • Don't cut through back alleys, ginnels or fields, and don't trick or treat too far from home.
  • Don't go alone - take an adult with you or stay in a group.
  • If you do decide to go trick-or-treating, please respect the wishes of householders who do not wish to take part, and please do not use the season as an excuse for anti-social or intimidating behaviour.

If you're not going out trick-or-treating, bear in mind the following:

  • Not everyone appreciates trick-or-treaters. To prevent unwanted ghosts and ghouls, put a 'no callers' note on your front door.
  • If you are prepared to receive the local 'monsters', switch on your outside light and remove any trip hazards.
  • If you set lanterns outside your front door with candles in them, make sure that they are far enough out of the way so that costumes won't accidentally be set on fire.
  • If you are driving on the evening, remember that excited children don't always do as they are expected, so slow down in residential areas and take extra care.

Police say if things do get out of hand, you feel intimidated or someone's safety is at risk, you should contact them on 101.